For over forty years, the United States Hispanic Chamber of Commerce has been the leading voice for Hispanic business owners in America. From its inception, the mission of the United States Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, has been to foster economic growth that creates and sustains prosperity for the benefit of the American people.
We know that when policy makers in Washington prioritize the rise of America’s small and minority business communities, our country’s wider economic outlook improves.
Our advocacy is driven by three main goals:
1. Grow business opportunities for Hispanic Business Enterprises (HBEs).
2. Support the broader US Hispanic community.
3. Integrate Hispanic businesses into the global economy.
COVID-19 Advocacy Letters
- March 11, 2020: Request of Potential Aid for Industries Impacted by Coronavirus. In collaboration with the National Business Inclusion Consortium (NBIC).
- March 18, 2020: Urgent request for following financial stimulus package. In collaboration with the Small Business Roundtable (SBR).
- April 1, 2020: Urgent request for clarity around the Paycheck Protection Program. In collaboration with the Small Business Roundtable (SBR).
- April 8, 2020: United States Hispanic Chamber of Commerce Requests Provisions on Fourth COVID-19 Economic Relief Package to Ensure Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion to Support Hispanic and Minority-Owned Small Businesses in America. USHCC specific letter.
- April 15, 2020: Urge for the inclusion of 501(c)(6) organizations among the list of entities that qualify for assistance under the PPP. In collaboration with diverse national 501c6s, more than 15 national groups.
- April 17, 2020: Urgent request for immediate additional funding for Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) and Economic Relief Resources for Hispanic and Minority-Owned Small Businesses. In collaboration with the Stanford’s Latino Business Action Network (LBAN).
- April 20, 2020: Additional Small Business Funding and 501(c)(6) Inclusion in Next Round of COVID-19 Relief. In collaboration with the National Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce (NGLCC) and more than 108 national and regional chambers of commerce.
- April 21, 2020: Urgent request for immediate additional funding for Economic Relief Resources for Hispanic and Minority-Owned Small Businesses. In collaboration with the League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC).
- April 21, 2020: Immediate request for inclusion of Hispanic-owned businesses and 501(c)(6) Hispanic Chambers of Commerce in COVID-19 stimulus funding in next economic relief package. In collaboration with Stanford’s Latino Business Action Network (LBAN).
- May 8, 2020: U.S. Hispanic Chamber of Commerce Policy Requests to Ensure Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion of Hispanic and Minority-Owned Small Businesses in Fourth COVID-19 Economic Relief Package. USHCC specific letter.
- May 15, 2020: Recommendations for future COVID-19 response legislation. In collaboration with the Page 30 Coalition.
- May 15, 2020: Broad set of policy recommendations and concerns as Congress considers additional legislation as it relates to economic relief during the COVID-19 crisis. In collaboration with the Small Business Roundtable (SBR).
- June 1, 2020: Recommendations for the forgiveness provisions related to loans made through the Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) for the economic benefit of Minority-owned small businesses. USHCC specific letter.
- June 22, 2020: Request that the Federal Reserve utilizes its full powers to support, with a debt and equity facility, a vital sector of the economy that represents $1.4 trillion in gross receipts and 7.2 million in jobs.
- July 1, 2020: Support the recharge and empower local innovation and entrepreneurs fund (RELIEF) for Main Street Act of 2020. In collaboration with the Page 30 Coalition.
- July 1, 2020: Endorse the Minority Business Resiliency Act of 2020. In collaboration with the Page 30 Coalition.
- July 9, 2020: Urge Congress to quickly pass this legislation that would forgive PPP loans of less than $150,000 upon the borrower’s completion of a simple, one-page forgiveness document.
- July 17, 2020: Express our policy requests as you consider the next phase of stimulus funding to keep the American economy on track during and after the COVID-19 economic crisis.
- July 28, 2020: Ensure that historically disadvantaged small businesses are served in the forthcoming economic relief bill.
- July 30, 2020: Express our strong support for expanding eligibility to 501(c)(6) organizations to apply for loans under the Paycheck Protection Program.
- July 31, 2020: Support H.R. 7777, “The Paycheck Protection Program Small Business Forgiveness Act”.
- July 31, 2020: Policy recommendations on the needs of Hispanic and minority-owned small businesses as you consider the next phase of stimulus funding to keep the American economy on track during and after COVID-19.
- August 3, 2020: Policy recommendations related to Title 2 Section 121 Small Business Investment Company Program (SBIC) of the continuing Small Business Recovery and Paycheck Protection Program Act.
- August 5, 2020: Urge Congress to include a temporary, $50-a-month benefit for residential broadband service as a part of your economic recovery strategy in forthcoming COVID-19 stimulus package(s).
- September 10, 2020: Express our organizations’ concern for the proposed rescission of small business debt relief funding allocated under section 1112 of the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act
- September 17, 2020: Express our strong support for S. 4117.
- September 18, 2020: Support and endorse S.3814 the Reviving the Economy Sustainably Towards a Recovery in Twenty-twenty (RESTART) Act.
- September 21, 2020: Ask for swift action to support America’s small businesses that are desperately struggling to survive the COVID-19 health pandemic and the subsequent economic fall out.
- October 20, 2020: Support the pending federal intervention to help major industries impacted by the coronavirus (COVID-19) epidemic.
- November 19, 2020: Urge Congress to immediately address the overburdensome Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) forgiveness process before the end of the year.
- December 8, 2020: Ask that Congress extend the CARES Act Section 1112 payments (the Small Business Debt Relief Program) as part of the end-of-year relief package.
- December 10, 2020: Urge Congress to act quickly and swiftly to help save restaurants and ensure immediate access to a second draw from the Paycheck Protection Program.
- December 16, 2020: Express our support and endorsement of the Economic Justice Act that would provide immediate and long-term support to historically marginalized and subjugated communities through corrective and equity-based legislative solutions.
Other Advocacy Letters
- March 5, 2020: Express our support for the Minority Business Development Act of 2020.
- June 8, 2020: Invest in the USA (IIUSA) to Help the U.S. Economy Create and Retain U.S. Jobs: Support EB-5 Regional Center Program Reform and Long-Term Reauthorization.
- July 11, 2020: Ask to leave DACA in place and refrain from taking any additional administrative actions that would negatively impact the DACA program.
- July 23, 2020: In support of the National Museum of the American Latino Act (S.1267).
- July 29, 2020: In support for H.R. 5084 “Improving Corporate Governance through Diversity Act of 2019”.
- July 30, 2020: In support for the establishment of a new framework of portable, flexible benefits for independent workers to fund health care, sick leave and unemployment, funded entirely by businesses.
- August 12, 2020: U.S. Hispanic Chamber and Florida Chambers Urge Sen. Scott to cosponsor the National Museum of the American Latino Act (H.R. 2420).
- October 1, 2020: Request urgent attention to the proliferating fraudulent business practice of selling falsified or stolen association mailing lists, and event attendee and/or exhibitor lists.
- November 12, 2020: Express our concern regarding actions by the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) moving forward with a Request for Proposal (RFP) without due process to create a nationalized 5G network.
- July 8, 2020: House Committee on Financial Services Subcommittee on Diversity and Inclusion Hearing Titled: “Access Denied: Challenges for Women- and Minority-Owned Businesses Accessing Capital and Financial Services During the Pandemic.”
- July 24, 2020: House Committee on Small Business Hearing Titled: “Long-Lasting Solutions for a Small Business Recovery”.
Interested in learning more? Please contact:
C. LeRoy Cavazos-Reyna, MPA
Vice President of Government and International Affairs